We’ve had our share of retail doom & gloom with the closure of Target, Future Shop and Co-Op Atlantic but despite challenges and setbacks there are some exciting rumours!
Internationally, there are retailers that are either expanding their Canadian presence, have recently moved or are actively evaluating plans to move into Canada. Although Saint John, New Brunswick may not be on their radar yet… we can dream!
- Desigual (fashion) from Spain;
- Bulgari (jewelry) and GEOX (fashion) from Italy;
- Clarks (footwear) from the UK;
- Gerry Weber (fashion) from Germany;
- UGG (footwear) and Aesop (skin care) from Australia;
- Uniqlo (fashion) from Japan which is rumoured to be looking closely at major Canadian cities;
- COS (fashion) from Sweden which is H&M’s upscale brand and stands for ‘Collection of Style’; and
- JYSK (home furnishings) from Denmark which currently has over 50 locations in Canada and is selectively looking for new opportunities. They operate 1 store in Atlantic Canada at Dartmouth Crossing in Halifax.
SOURCE: ICSC Research Department. With a shout out to Colin Whitcomb (Hardman Group) for his compelling presentation at the ICSC Atlantic Provinces Ideal Exchange, August 2015.