Saint John Commercial Real Estate

Home » Posts tagged 'sale'

Tag Archives: sale

SOLD: 90 Paradise Row

90 Paradise Row, Saint John, New Brunswick

SJ Energy closes on purchase. Plan to relocate Smythe Street substation. 

After over a year of searching and after considering at least 16 locations, SJ Energy has purchased 90 Paradise Row in Saint John, NB. The property consists of a commercial building with a gross leasable area of 8,934 square feet sitting on 0.42 acres. The property also includes surplus land of 0.89 acres. This surplus land has been identified as the site of a new SJ Energy substation which will replace the current facility located on Smythe Street by Harbour Passage.

Saint John Energy Looks To Move Uptown Substation

Artist rendering of new Paradise Row substation Photo courtesy of http://www.thewave.ca and the City of Saint John

According to a http://www.thewave.ca story which ran back in early August, the Smythe Street substation is at the end of its life. Dana Young, manager of asset management for Saint John Energy, said there are several reasons why they want to build the new substation elsewhere. “The Union substation is currently in a zone that’s at risk of flooding as sea levels continue to rise. 90 Paradise Row is at a higher elevation.”

The property required a rezoning for this use which took a little longer than planned due to COVID and the challenges in holding public hearings. Ultimately the re-zoning was approved and the sale closed at the end of August.

The Smythe Street substation sits on some pretty desirable waterfront real estate. While the substation was at the end of its useful life and at risk of flooding some day, it could also be argued that it was not the highest and best use of that land. Once the new Paradise Row substation is built, SJ Energy will start the process of decommissioning the Smythe Street facilities.

Stephanie Turner represented the purchaser (SJ Energy) in this commercial real estate transaction.


To read the entire story than ran back on August 5th, click the link below

Saint John Energy Looks To Move Uptown Substation

SOLD 819 Millidge

819 Millidge Avenue, Saint John, NB

The church, hall and rectory located at the corner of Millidge Ave and Daniel Ave in Millidgeville has been sold. The property consists of 1.94 acres of land ideal for redevelopment.

The transaction closed earlier this week and the buyer is still ensure what the future holds for the property. I’m sure the neighbours will be watching with interest!


Millidge Avenue is a major traffic artery and leads to Saint John’s central business district less than 10 minutes away.

Development in the immediate area consists mainly of single family homes with some commercial/retail developments nearby as well as two senior’s complexes. The Saint John Regional Hospital and the University of New Brunswick Saint John Campus are also located in Millidgeville. From a recreational stand point, Millidgeville is well served with easy access to Rockwood Park (one of the largest municipal parks in Canada) as well as the Royal Kennebeccasis Yacht Club.

Stephanie Turner represented both the Seller and the Buyer

Buckley Building has new owners

82 Germain Street, Saint John, New Brunswick

View from roof. Photo Credit: Bob McVicar

The Buckley Building has been sold. The new owners intend to convert the top floor to residential for their personal use and add a rooftop patio. The building is a three storey brick Italianate-Style commercial building on the east side of Germain Street.  The view from the roof affords a unique urban view directly down the newly renovated Grannan Lane as well as a view of the harbour.

The Buckley Building is significant as one of a collection of commercial, Italianate and Second Empire buildings that were built between 1877 and 1881 after the great fire.

The building is also significant because it housed the office of G. Ernest Fairweather from 1888 until 1920. G. E. Fairweather was a prominent architect and he designed many significant buildings in Saint John. He was originally associated with John Magee, as Magee and Fairweather, and in their office the plans were prepared for a great many of the buildings erected after the great fire in 1877.  Source: historicplaces.ca

The new owners have renamed the building “The Fairweather”. You can like their page, see design concepts and follow their progress on FACEBOOK

Stephanie represented the seller & Bob McVicar of Exit Realty (now Sutton Realty!) represented the buyers.