The city of Saint John offers a pre-application meeting with City Staff (Planning, Infrastructure, and Building Inspection). The form to request the pre-application meeting can be found below. Interested parties can complete the form and sent it back to email@example.com it will get to the folks who review them and set up the meetings.
VIEW/PRINT/DOWLOAD FORM BELOW
General overview of the process –
- The rezoning application is submitted including supporting documentation such as a site plan and a floor plan along with the $2650 application fee.
- Common Council refers the application to the Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) and sets a Public Hearing date.
- Staff circulate the application to internal City departments and external agencies for comment.
- Staff also circulate information to landowners within 100 metres of the subject site including information regarding the proposal and information on how at attend the PAC meeting and Public Hearing. Applicants are strongly encouraged to conduct their own community consultation program. The Public Hearing is also advertised on the City’s website.
- Staff prepare a report analyzing the proposal and providing a recommendation to PAC and Common Council regarding the application.
- The City’s Planning Advisory Committee considers the recommendation at their monthly meeting. Members of the public and the applicant are able to make written and in person presentations to the Committee regarding the application. The Committee makes a recommendation to Common Council regarding the application.
- Common Council considerers the Staff and PAC recommendations at the Public Hearing. Members of the public and the applicant are able to make written and in person presentations to the Committee regarding the application. Common Council makes the final decision on the application. If Council approves the application, they give first and second reading to the necessary amending Zoning By-Law. If approved, Third Reading of the by-law is given at the following meeting of Common Council.
The process generally takes about 3 months from the time a complete application package is received.
We would discuss the process and timeline and any site-specific requirements in more detail at our preapplication meeting.